Cybernetics and Computer Engineering, 2022, 4(210)
SHCHERBINA O.A.2, DSc (Engineering), Associate Professor,
Professor of the Department of Electronics, Robotics, Monitoring and
Internet of Things Technologies
1International Research and Training Center for Information Technologies and Systems of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine and the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine,
40, Akad. Hlushkov av., Kyiv, 03680, Ukraine
2National Aviation University,
1, Lubomyr Husar av., Kyiv, 03058, Ukraine.
ANALYSIS OF MULTIPLE INPUT MULTIPLE OUTPUT SYSTEM DESIGNS FOR BASE STATIONS AND 5G WIRELESS NETWORK MOBILE APPS
Introduction. Because of the fast technological development, cellular connection networks are becoming such type of the network domain that could support several frequency ranges of different cellular generations and it needs to have an optimal antenna design structure to have the most efficient signal receiving. So the multiple input multiple output (MIMO) antennas were chosen as the most appropriate instrument to operate at 5G mobile networks. According to purpose, all 5G cellular connection antenna systems could be relatively divided into two types: base station antenna systems and antennas for mobile apps. In one’s turn, dependently from the frequency range, each of defined types include two subgroups, such as: lower than 6 GHz and higher than 6 GHz. 5G base station MIMO antenna systems for the range that is lower than 6 GHz are often integrating to the 4G antenna systems that simplifies its accomplishment and its placing on the cell tower.
Purpose of the paper is to discover good decoupling and carrying capacity securing in moderate dimensions of the antenna elements during the antenna designing for the 5G mobile apps. 5G system architecture depends on universal antenna design for the millimeter range tasks solving. One of such tasks is large losses overcome on the way of millimeter wave spreading at the free space that weaken signal power significantly.
Results of the research is in definition of the most efficient decoupling and carrying capacity support of the MIMO antenna system. Total dimensions, compact location and optimal work parameters are also reasons for the best MIMO antenna system design definition for its usage for the 5G wireless network mobile applications.
Conclusion. The most optimal structure design for MIMO antenna system could be a real step forward at cellular technologies. Using advantages of all previous network generations, the brand new MIMO wireless antenna system have abilities to work with minimal losses and in the most flexible and frequency-optimal way ever. Development also demonstrates influence of the dimensions on the base station block location and universality of its usage complexly with antennas of, practically, any possible design.
Keywords: cellular network, base stations, multiple input multiple output, 5G.
1. T.S. Rappaport et al., “Millimeter Wave Mobile Communications for 5G Cellular: It Will Work!,” in IEEE Access, vol. 1, pp. 335-349, 2013.
2. H.T. Chattha, “4-Port 2-Element MIMO Antenna for 5G Portable Applications,” in IEEE Access, vol. 7, pp. 96516-96520, 2019.
3. J. Guo, L. Cui, C. Li and B. Sun, “Side-Edge Frame Printed Eight-Port Dual-Band Antenna Array for 5G Smartphone Applications,” in IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 66, no. 12, pp. 7412-7417, Dec. 2018.
4. N.O. Parchin et al., “Eight-Element Dual-Polarized MIMO Slot Antenna System for 5G Smartphone Applications,” in IEEE Access, vol. 7, pp. 15612-15622, 2019.
5. M. Ikram, N. Nguyen-Trong and A. Abbosh, “Multiband MIMO Microwave and Millimeter Antenna System Employing Dual-Function Tapered Slot Structure,” in IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 67, no. 8, pp. 5705-5710, Aug. 2019.
6. Y. -L. Ban, C. Li, C. -Y. -D. Sim, G. Wu and K. -L. Wong, “4G/5G Multiple Antennas for Future Multi-Mode Smartphone Applications,” in IEEE Access, vol. 4, pp. 2981-2988, 2016.
7. WRC-15 Press Release. (2019). World Radiocommunication Conference Allocates Spectrum for Future Innovation. Accessed: 27, 2015. Online. . Available: http://www.itu.int/net/pressof-ce/press-releases/2015/56.aspx.
8. M. Matinmikko-Blue, S. Yrjölä, V. Seppänen, P. Ahokangas, H. Hämmäinen and M. Latva-Aho, “Analysis of Spectrum Valuation Elements for Local 5G Networks: Case Study of 3.5-GHz Band,” in IEEE Transactions on Cognitive Communications and Networking, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 741-753, Sept. 2019.
9. E. Lagunas, C. G. Tsinos, S. K. Sharma and S. Chatzinotas, “5G Cellular and Fixed Satellite Service Spectrum Coexistence in C-Band,” in IEEE Access, vol. 8, pp. 72078-72094, 2020.
10. N. Hussain, M. Jeong, A. Abbas, T. Kim and N. Kim, “A Metasurface-Based Low-Profile Wideband Circularly Polarized Patch Antenna for 5G Millimeter-Wave Systems,” in IEEE Access, vol. 8, pp. 22127-22135, 2020.
11. R. Ullah, S. Ullah, R. Ullah, F. Faisal, I. B. Mabrouk and M. J. A. Hasan, “A 10-Ports MIMO Antenna System for 5G Smart-Phone Applications,” in IEEE Access, vol. 8, pp. 218477-218488, 2020.
12. Z. Wu, B. Wu, Z. Su and X. Zhang, “Development challenges for 5G base station antennas,” 2018 International Workshop on Antenna Technology (iWAT), 2018, pp. 1-3.
13. E.G. Larsson, O. Edfors, F. Tufvesson and T.L. Marzetta, “Massive MIMO for next generation wireless systems,” in IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 186-195, February 2014.
14. H.T. Chattha, M.K. Ishfaq, B.A. Khawaja, A. Sharif and N. Sheriff, “Compact Multiport MIMO Antenna System for 5G IoT and Cellular Handheld Applications,” in IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 20, no. 11, pp. 2136-2140, Nov. 2021.
15. L.Yang and T.Li, ”Box-folded four-element MIMO antenna system for LTE handsets,” Electron. Lett., vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 440-441, Mar. 2015.
16. M. Abdullah et al., “Future Smartphone: MIMO Antenna System for 5G Mobile Terminals,” in IEEE Access, vol. 9, pp. 91593-91603, 2021.
17. Y. Wang and Z. Du, “A Wideband Printed Dual-Antenna System With a Novel Neutralization Line for Mobile Terminals,” in IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 12, pp. 1428-1431, 2013.
18. C. Gao, X.-Q. Li, W.-J. Lu, and K.-L. Wong, ”Conceptual design and implementation of a four-element MIMO antenna system packaged within a metallic handset,” Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 436-444, Feb. 2018.
19. P. Xingdong, H. Wei, Y. Tianyang and L. Linsheng, “Design and implementation of an active multibeam antenna system with 64 RF channels and 256 antenna elements for massive MIMO application in 5G wireless communications,” in China Communications, vol. 11, no. 11, pp. 16-23, Nov. 2014,
20. Y. Gao, R. Ma, Y. Wang, Q. Zhang and C. Parini, “Stacked Patch Antenna With Dual-Polarization and Low Mutual Coupling for Massive MIMO,” in IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 64, no. 10, pp. 4544-4549, Oct. 2016,
21. M.V. Komandla, G. Mishra and S.K. Sharma, “Investigations on Dual Slant Polarized Cavity-Backed Massive MIMO Antenna Panel With Beamforming,” in IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 65, no. 12, pp. 6794-6799, Dec. 2017,
22. A. Alieldin, Y. Huang, M. Stanley, S.D. Joseph and D. Lei, “A 5G MIMO Antenna for Broadcast and Traffic Communication Topologies Based on Pseudo Inverse Synthesis,” in IEEE Access, vol. 6, pp. 65935-65944, 2018,
23. M. Kaboli, M.S. Abrishamian, S.A. Mirtaheri and S.M. Aboutorab, “High-Isolation XX-Polar Antenna,” in IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 60, no. 9, pp. 4046-4055, Sept. 2012,
24. Y.He, Z. Pan, X. Cheng, Y.He, J. Qiao and M.M. Tentzeris, “A Novel Dual-Band, Dual-Polarized, Miniaturized and Low-Profile Base Station Antenna,” in IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 63, no. 12, pp. 5399-5408, Dec. 2015.
25. Y. Cui, R. Li and P. Wang, “Novel Dual-Broadband Planar Antenna and Its Array for 2G/3G/LTE Base Stations,” in IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 1132-1139, March 2013.
26. H. Huang, Y. Liu and S. Gong, “A Novel Dual-Broadband and Dual-Polarized Antenna for 2G/3G/LTE Base Stations,” in IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 64, no. 9, pp. 4113-4118, Sept. 2016.
27. R. Wu and Q. -X. Chu, “A Compact, Dual-Polarized Multiband Array for 2G/3G/4G Base Stations,” in IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 67, no. 4, pp. 2298-2304, April 2019.
28. W. Wu, H. Peng and J. Mao, “A new compact dual-polarized co-axial full-band antenna for 2G/3G/LTE base station applications,” 2017 IEEE Electrical Design of Advanced Packaging and Systems Symposium (EDAPS), 2017, pp. 1-3.
29. H. Huang, X. Li and Y. Liu, “A Novel Vector Synthetic Dipole Antenna and Its Common Aperture Array,” in IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 66, no. 6, pp. 3183-3188, June 2018.
30. Y. Liu, S. Wang, N. Li, J.-B. Wang and J. Zhao, “A Compact Dual-Band Dual-Polarized Antenna With Filtering Structures for Sub-6 GHz Base Station Applications,” in IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 17, no. 10, pp. 1764-1768, Oct. 2018.
31. A. Alieldin et al., “A Triple-Band Dual-Polarized Indoor Base Station Antenna for 2G, 3G, 4G and Sub-6 GHz 5G Applications,” in IEEE Access, vol. 6, pp. 49209-49216, 2018.
32. Y. Zhu, Y. Chen and S. Yang, “Integration of 5G Rectangular MIMO Antenna Array and GSM Antenna for Dual-Band Base Station Applications,” in IEEE Access, vol. 8, pp. 63175-63187, 2020.
33. Y. Zhu, Y. Chen and S. Yang, “Decoupling and Low-Profile Design of Dual-Band Dual-Polarized Base Station Antennas Using Frequency-Selective Surface,” in IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 67, no. 8, pp. 5272-5281, Aug. 2019.
34. A.I. Sulyman, A. Alwarafy, G.R. MacCartney, T.S. Rappaport and A. Alsanie, “Directional Radio Propagation Path Loss Models for Millimeter-Wave Wireless Networks in the 28-, 60-, and 73-GHz Bands,” in IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 6939-6947, Oct. 2016, doi: 10.1109/TWC.2016.2594067.
35. L. Wei, R. Q. Hu, Y. Qian and G. Wu, “Key elements to enable millimeter wave communications for 5G wireless systems,” in IEEE Wireless Communications, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 136-143, December 2014.
36. T.S. Rappaport, J.N. Murdock and F. Gutierrez, “State of the Art in 60-GHz Integrated Circuits and Systems for Wireless Communications,” in Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 99, no. 8, pp. 1390-1436, Aug. 2011.
37. S.F. Jilani and A. Alomainy, “Millimetre-wave T-shaped MIMO antenna with defected ground structures for 5G cellular networks,” IET Microwaves, Antennas Propag., vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 672-677, 2018, doi: 10.1049/iet-map.2017.0467
38. S. Li, T. Chi, Y. Wang and H. Wang, “A Millimeter-Wave Dual-Feed Square Loop Antenna for 5G Communications,” in IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 65, no. 12, pp. 6317-6328, Dec. 2017.
39. H.A. Diawuo and Y. -B. Jung, “Broadband Proximity-Coupled Microstrip Planar Antenna Array for 5G Cellular Applications,” in IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 1286-1290, July 2018.
40. S.F. Jilani and A. Alomainy, “A Multiband Millimeter-Wave 2-D Array Based on Enhanced Franklin Antenna for 5G Wireless Systems,” in IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 16, pp. 2983-2986, 2017.
41. Z. Chen and Y.P. Zhang, “FR4 PCB grid array antenna for millimeter-wave 5G mobile communications,” 2013 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop Series on RF and Wireless Technologies for Biomedical and Healthcare Applications (IMWS-BIO), 2013, pp. 1-3.
42. S.F. Jilani, M.O. Munoz, Q.H. Abbasi and A. Alomainy, “Millimeter-Wave Liquid Crystal Polymer Based Conformal Antenna Array for 5G Applications,” in IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 84-88, Jan. 2019.
43. S.F. Jilani, Q.H. Abassi and A. Alomainy, “Millimeter-Wave Compact and High-Performance Two-Dimensional Grid Array for 5G Applications,” 2019 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and USNC-URSI Radio Science Meeting, 2019, pp. 25-26.
44. S.F. Jilani, Q.H. Abassi and A. Alomainy, “Millimetre-Wave MIMO Array of a Compact Grid Antenna for 5G Wireless Networks and Beyond,” 2020 International Conference on UK-China Emerging Technologies (UCET), 2020, pp. 1-4, doi: 10.1109/UCET51115.2020.9205326.
45. N.K. Sahu, G. Das and R.K. Gangwar, “Dielectric Resonator Based MIMO Antenna with Circular Polarization Diversity for WiMAX Applications,” 2019 PhotonIcs & Electromagnetics Research Symposium – Spring (PIERS-Spring), 2019, pp. 604-612.
46. I. Dioum, A. Diallo, S.M. Farssi and C. Luxey, “A Novel Compact Dual-Band LTE Antenna-System for MIMO Operation,” in IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 2291-2296, April 2014.
47. W. Han, X. Zhou, J. Ouyang, Y. Li, R. Long and F. Yang, “A Six-Port MIMO Antenna System With High Isolation for 5-GHz WLAN Access Points,” in IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 13, pp. 880-883, 2014.
48. J. Deng, J. Li, L. Zhao and L. Guo, “A Dual-Band Inverted-F MIMO Antenna With Enhanced Isolation for WLAN Applications,” in IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 16, pp. 2270-2273, 2017, doi: 10.1109/LAWP.2017.2713986.
49. Y. Ding, Z. Du, K. Gong and Z. Feng, “A Novel Dual-Band Printed Diversity Antenna for Mobile Terminals,” in IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 55, no. 7, pp. 2088-2096, July 2007.
50. S. Khan, H. Ali, R. Khan, R. Harry and C. Tanougast, “A cross-shaped MIMO reconfigurable dielectric resonator antenna for GSM and LTE/UMTS applications,” 2018 29th Irish Signals and Systems Conference (ISSC), 2018, pp. 1-4.
51. L. Alex and S. Amma, “Compact Inverted U Shaped Slot Triple Band MIMO Antenna for WLAN and WiMAX Applications,” 2018 Second International Conference on Inventive Communication and Computational Technologies (ICICCT), 2018, pp. 1034-1036.
52. C.F. Ding, X.Y. Zhang, C. Xue and C. Sim, “Novel Pattern-Diversity-Based Decoupling Method and Its Application to Multielement MIMO Antenna,” in IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 66, no. 10, pp. 4976-4985, Oct. 2018.
53. L. Chang, Y. Yu, K. Wei and H. Wang, “Orthogonally Polarized Dual Antenna Pair With High Isolation and Balanced High Performance for 5G MIMO Smartphone,” in IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 68, no. 5, pp. 3487-3495, May 2020.
54. L. Sun, Y. Li, Z. Zhang and Z. Feng, “Wideband 5G MIMO Antenna With Integrated Orthogonal-Mode Dual-Antenna Pairs for Metal-Rimmed Smartphones,” in IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 68, no. 4, pp. 2494-2503, April 2020.
55. W. Jiang, B. Liu, Y. Cui and W. Hu, “High-Isolation Eight-Element MIMO Array for 5G Smartphone Applications,” in IEEE Access, vol. 7, pp. 34104-34112, 2019.
56. X. Zhang, Y. Li, W. Wang and W. Shen, “Ultra-Wideband 8-Port MIMO Antenna Array for 5G Metal-Frame Smartphones,” in IEEE Access, vol. 7, pp. 72273-72282, 2019.
57. R. Ullah, S. Ullah, B. Kamal and R. Ullah, “A Four-Port Multiple Input Multiple Output (MIMO) Antenna for Future 5G Smartphone Applications,” 2019 International Conference on Electrical, Communication, and Computer Engineering (ICECCE), 2019, pp. 1-5.
58. Z. Ren and A. Zhao, “Dual-Band MIMO Antenna With Compact Self-Decoupled Antenna Pairs for 5G Mobile Applications,” in IEEE Access, vol. 7, pp. 82288-82296, 2019.
59. J. Li, X. Zhang, Z. Wang, X. Chen, J. Chen, Y. Li, and A. Zhang,, “Dual-Band Eight-Antenna Array Design for MIMO Applications in 5G Mobile Terminals,” in IEEE Access, vol. 7, pp. 71636-71644, 2019.
60. J.D. Park, M. Rahman and H. N. Chen, “Isolation Enhancement of Wide-Band MIMO Array Antennas Utilizing Resistive Loading,” in IEEE Access, vol. 7, pp. 81020-81026, 2019.
61. Y. Li, C. -Y. -D. Sim, Y. Luo and G. Yang, “Multiband 10-Antenna Array for Sub-6 GHz MIMO Applications in 5-G Smartphones,” in IEEE Access, vol. 6, pp. 28041-28053, 2018.
62. Y. Li, C. -Y. -D. Sim, Y. Luo and G. Yang, “12-Port 5G Massive MIMO Antenna Array in Sub-6GHz Mobile Handset for LTE Bands 42/43/46 Applications,” in IEEE Access, vol. 6, pp. 344-354, 2018.
63. Y. Liu, A. Ren, H. Liu, H. Wang and C. -Y. -D. Sim, “Eight-Port MIMO Array Using Characteristic Mode Theory for 5G Smartphone Applications,” in IEEE Access, vol. 7, pp. 45679-45692, 2019.
64. W. Hong, “Solving the 5G Mobile Antenna Puzzle: Assessing Future Directions for the 5G Mobile Antenna Paradigm Shift,” in IEEE Microwave Magazine, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 86-102, Nov.-Dec. 2017.
65. M. S. Sharawi, M. Ikram and A. Shamim, “A Two Concentric Slot Loop Based Connected Array MIMO Antenna System for 4G/5G Terminals,” in IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 65, no. 12, pp. 6679-6686, Dec. 2017.
66. Y. Li, C. -Y. -D. Sim, Y. Luo and G. Yang, “Multiband 10-Antenna Array for Sub-6 GHz MIMO Applications in 5-G Smartphones,” in IEEE Access, vol. 6, pp. 28041-28053, 2018.
67. S. Chen, P. Wu, C.G. Hsu and J. Sze, “Integrated MIMO Slot Antenna on Laptop Computer for Eight-Band LTE/WWAN Operation,” in IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 105-114, Jan. 2018.
68. M. Ikram, R. Hussain, and M. S. Sharawi, ”4G/5G antenna system with dual function planar connected array,” IET Microw., Antennas Propag., vol. 11, no. 12, pp. 1760-1764, 2017.
69. R. Hussain, A.T. Alreshaid, S.K. Podilchak, and M.S. Sharawi, ”Compact 4G MIMO antenna integrated with a 5G array for current and future mobile handsets,” IET Microw., Antennas Propag., vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 271-279, 2017.
70. E. Al Abbas, M. Ikram, A. T. Mobashsher and A. Abbosh, “MIMO Antenna System for Multi-Band Millimeter-Wave 5G and Wideband 4G Mobile Communications,” in IEEE Access, vol. 7, pp. 181916-181923, 2019.