Cybernetics and Computer Engineering, 2022, 3(209)
International Research and Training Center for Information Technologies
and Systems of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
and Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine.
40, Akad. Glushkov av., Kyiv, 03187, Ukraine
FROM COMMAND CONTROL TO THE AUTONOMY OF MOBILE ROBOTS
Introduction.The urgent needs of the modern technological order and the development of intelligent information technologies, covering a wide range of scientific areas, have led to the emergence of new principles for the organization of robot control systems. The main goal of modern robotics is to minimize direct human involvement in the control loop when the robot performs tasks in a weakly deterministic non-stationary environment. Historically, robotics for such operating conditions has progressed from remote command control to autonomous systems with the possibility of supervision by human. The influence of intelligent control on increasing the degree of autonomy of service mobile robots is considered. The important subsystems in the organization of intelligent control systems for autonomous mobile robots and the objective difficulties of their practical implementation are shown.
The purpose of the paper is to discuss the influence of intelligent control on the level of autonomous capabilities of robots in dynamic and incompletely defined conditions and the objective difficulties of creating universal approaches to the implementation of autonomous service robots control systems.
Results. The ways of increasing the autonomous capabilities of mobile robots are considered. The role of the supervisory control principle on the way to reducing human participation in the processes of remote control of service robots is given.
Conclusions. The use of the proposed structural solutions of the service mobile robot intelligent control system and the methodology for organizing its activating subsystem made it possible to significantly increase the autonomous resources of the robot when performing complex tasks in a weakly deterministic nonstationary environment.
Keywords:autonomous mobile robot, intelligent control system, supervisory control
1. Fu K.S. Learning control systems and intelligent control systems: An intersection of artificial intelligence and automatic control. IEEE Trans. Automatic Control. 1971. pp. 70-72.
2. Saridis G.N. Toward the realization of intelligent controls. Proc. IEEE. 1979, vol. 67. Iss. 8, pp. 1115-1133.
3. Meystel A. Intelligent control: Issues and perspectives. Proc. IEEE Workshop Intelligent Control. 1985. pp. 1-15.
4. Antsaklis P.J., Passino K.M., Wang S.J. Towards intelligent autonomous control systems: Architecture and fundamental issues. HYPERLINK “https://link.springer.com/journal/10846” Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems. 1989, vol. 1. pp. 315-342.
5. Simmons R., et al. Autonomous task control for mobile robots. Proc. of the Fifth International Symposium on Intelligent Control. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos, CA. 1990. P. 663-668.
6. DARPA Robotics Challenge. https://www.darpa.mil/program/darpa-robotics-challenge [Last accessed 24.04.2022]
7. World Robotics – Service Robot Report. International Federation on Robotics, 2018. https://ifr.org/downloads/press2018/Executive_Summary_WR_Service_Robots_2018.pdf
8. Guha A., Dudziak M. Knowledge based controllers for autonomous system. Proc. IEEE Workshop Intelligent Control. 1985, pp. 134-138.
9. Saridis G.N. Intelligent control-operating systems in uncertain environments. In book: Uncertainty and Control. 2006, pp. 215-236.
10. Rapoport G.N., Gertz A.G. Artificial and biological intelligence. Generality of structure, evolution and processes of cognition. Moscow: KomKniga, 2005. 312 p. (in Russian)
11. Makarov I.M., Lokhin V.M., Manko S.V., Romanov M.P. Artificial intelligence and intelligent control systems. Moscow: Nauka, 2006. 333 p. (in Russian)
12. Zhdanov A.A. Autonomous artificial intelligence. Moscow: BINOM, Laboratoriya znaniy, 2008. 359 p. (in Russian)
13. Gonzalez A.G.C., Alves M.V.S., Viana G.S., Carvalho L.K., Basilio J.C. Supervisory control-based navigation architecture: A new framework for autonomous robots in industry 4.0 Environments. IEEE Trans. on Industrial Informatics. 2018. 14(4). P. 1732-1743.
14. Sheridan Thomas B. Telerobotics, automation, and human supervisory control. MIT Press, Cambridge, 1992.
15. Cheng G., Zelinsky A. Supervised autonomy. A Framework for Human-Robot Systems Development, Autonomous Robots. 2001. 10(3). P. 251-266.
16. Ferrell W.R., Sheridan T.B. Supervisory control of remote manipulation. IEEE Spectrum. 1967. 4(10). P. 81-88.
17. Jones P.M., Jasek C.A. Intelligent support for activity management (ISAM): An architecture to support distributed supervisory control. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Special issue on Human Interaction in Complex Systems. Vol. 27. No. 3. May 1997. P. 274-288.
18. Chechkin A.V. Activating subsystem is the main feature of the intelligent system. Intellektualnye sistemy. Moscow: Izd-vo MGU. 2001, 6. Iss. 1-4., pp. 91-110. (in Russian)
19. Sukhoruchkina O.N. The structures and information processes of mobile robot intelligent control. Zbirnyk naukovykh prats Instytutu problem modelyuvannya v energetytsi im. G.Ye. Pukhova NAN Ukrainy. Kyiv, 2012. No. 62, pp. 93-101. (in Russian)
20. Anokhin P.K. Key questions of the theory of functional systems. Moscow: Nauka, 1980. (in Russian)
21. Sukhoruchkina O.N. Activating subsystem of mobile robot intelligent control, Sbornik dokladov Vserossiyskoe nauchno-tekhnic. konferentsii “Ekstremalnaya robototekhnika” (Rossiya, Sankt-Peterburg, 25-26 sentyabrya), Izdatelstvo “Politekhnika-servis”, Sankt-Peterburg, 2012, pp. 101-105. (in Russian)
22. Sukhoruchkina O.N., Progonnyi N.V. Intelligent Control of Mobile Robot when Tracking a Moving Object. Journal of Automation and Information Sciences. 2019. 51(11), pp. 50-62.
23. Sukhoruchkina O.N. On parallel information processes of intelligent control of a mobile robot. Trudy XXI Mezhdunar. nauchno-tekhnic. konferentsii “Ekstremalnaya robototekhnika”. Sankt-Peterburg: Izdatelstvo “Politekhnika-servis”. 2010, pp. 338-340. (in Russian)
HOW TO CITE:
Gritcenko V.I., Sukhoruchkina O.N. From Command Control to the Autonomy of Mobile Robots. Cybernetics and Computer Engineering, 2022, no 3(209), pp. 33-45.