Cybernetics and Computer Engineering, 2020, 1(199)
GRITSENKO V.I., Corresponding Member of NAS of Ukraine,
Director of International Research and Training Center for Information Technologies and Systems of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine and Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine
FAINZILBERG L.S., DSc. (Engineering), Professor,
Chief Researcher of the Department of Intelligent Automatic Systems
International Research and Training Center for Information Technologies and Systems of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine and of Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine,
40, Acad. Glushkov av., Kyiv, 03187, Ukraine
CURRENT STATE AND PROSPECTS FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF DIGITAL MEDICINE
Introduction. According to the definition of the International Society of Digital Medicine, digital medicine is a field of science in which scientists strive to explain previously incomprehensible pathophysiological phenomena in the human body and to explore new medical procedures using modern digital technologies to improve the quality of human life.
The purpose of the paper is to provide brief information about the current state and prospects for the development of digital medicine.
Methods. The analysis of the main directions of digital medicine is done. Basic definitions of the concepts “Intelligent IT signal processing” and “Effective computational procedure” are formulated. The role of intelligent IT in digital medicine is demonstrated on the example of fasegraphy method.
Results. Existing methods and means of digital medicine are used for diagnosis, treatment, rehabilitation, as well as to restore the lost functions of the patient (vision, hearing, movement). Such technologies make it possible not only to free medical workers from solving routine tasks, but also to increase the efficiency of performing surgical operations, radiation therapy and a number of other tasks of practical medicine. Unlike traditional IT, based on procedures for processing numerical data, intelligent IT operate with generalized concepts (images) that provide more complete information about the external environment, and the analysis of such images generates a holistic picture of the phenomena studied. Within the framework of the algorithmic approach, the construction of intelligent IT for solving the problems of digital medicine requires the active participation of a technology developer, who, using his natural intelligence, creates effective procedures for extracting diagnostic information from real data under disturbances.
Conclusions. Intelligent IT with the properties of natural intelligence (adaptation, generalization, learning, etc.) play an important role in expanding the functional capabilities and increasing the effectiveness of digital medicine.
Keywords: digital medicine, intelligent IT, efficient computing procedures.
- Amosov N.M. Modeling complex systems. Kiev: Naukova Dumka, 1968. 87 p. (In Russian)
- Anokhin P. K. Theory of a functional system. Advances in physiological sciences. 1970. V. 1, no. 1, pp. 19–54. (In Russian)
- Grodins F.S. Control Theory and Biological Systems. New York: Columbia University Press, 1963. 179 p.
- Gritsenko V.I. Digital medicine and information technology — cornerstones of healthcare for the future. Bulletin of NAS of Ukraine. 2016, no 5, pp. 41–43. (In Ukrainian)
- Gritsenko V.I., Fainzilberg L.S. Personalized digital medicine — a step towards health. Bulletin of NAS of Ukraine. 2012, no 8, pp. 62–70. (In Ukrainian).
- Gritsenko V.I., Fainzilberg L.S. Information technology FASEGRAPH® for the integrated assessment of the state of the cardiovascular system according by the phase portrait of the electrocardiogram. Doctor and information technology. 2013, no. 3, pp. 52–63. (In Russian).
- Zhang S., Liao R., Alpert J.S., Kong J., Spetzger U., Milia P., et al. Digital Medicine: Emergence, Definition, Scope and Future. Digit Medicine. 2018, no. 4, pp. 1–4.
- Kwakkel G., Kollen B., Lindeman E.. Understanding the Pattern of Functional Recovery after Stroke: Facts and Theories. Restor Neurol Neurosci. 2004, no. 22, pp. 281–299.
- Lo A.C., Guarino P.D., Richards L.G., Haselkorn J.K., Wittenberg G.F., Federman D.G. et al. Robot Assisted Therapy for Long Term upper Limb Impairment after Stroke.
The New England Journal of Medicine. 2010, Iss. 362, pp. 1772–1783.
- Vovk M.I. Galyan., E.B., Kutsyak A.A., Lauta A.D. Formation of an individual complex of control actions for the rehabilitation of movements and speech after a stroke.
Kibernetika i vyčislitel`naâ tehnika. 2018, no. 3, pp. 43–63. (In Russian). DOI: https://doi.org/10.15407/kvt192.03.043.
- Milia P., De Salvo F., Caserio M., Cope T., Weber P., Santella C. et al. Neurorehabilitation in Paraplegic Ptients with an Active Powered Exoskeleton (Ekso). Digital Medicine. 2016, no. 2, pp. 163–168. DOI: 10.4103/digm.digm_51_16.
- Michaud F., Salter T., Duquette A., Laplante J. Perspectives on Mobile Robots as Tools for Child Development and Pediatric Rehabilitation. Assistive Technology. 2007.
Vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 21–36. https://doi.org/10.1080/10400435.2007.10131863
- Sukhoruchkina O.N., Progonny N.V., Voronov M.A. Interpretation and use of measurements of a rangefinder sensor in control tasks of an autonomous mobile robot. Upravlâûŝie sistemy i mašiny. 2017, no. 1, pp. 26–34. (In Russian).
- Kraevsky S.V., Rogatkin D.A. Medical robotics: the first steps of medical robots. Technologies of living systems. 2010. Vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 3–14. (In Russian).
- Okie S. Robots Make the Rounds to Ease Hospitals’ Costs. The Washington Post. 2002, no 3, p. A3.
- Tarasova L. Da Vinci in tandem with the surgeon. Medical Herald. 2008, no. 8, pp. 435. (In Russian).
- Avrunin O.G., Semenets V.V. To the question of determining the force characteristics of a field in magnetic stereotaxis systems. Radio engineering. 2001, no. 117, pp.121–124. (In Russian).
- Wang Y., Butner S.E., Darzi A. The Developing Market for Medical Robotics. Proc. IEEE, Special issue “Medical Robotics”. 2006. Vol. 94, no. 9, pp.1763-1770. DOI: 10.1109/JPROC.2006.880711.
- Donnet A., Valade D., Régis J. Gamma Knife Treatment for Refractory Cluster Headache: Prospective Open Trial. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry. 2005, no. 2, pp. 218–221. DOI: 10.1136/jnnp.2004.041202.
- Simroid: Dentistry in the uncanny valley. — http://pinktentacle.com/2007/11/simroid-dentistry-in-the-uncanny-valley-video.
- SimMan 3G. Patient Simulator Gets a Serious Upgrade. MedGadget internet journal of emerging medical technologies. (Год, № ????)
- Fainzilberg L.S., Pomorskaya D.V. Information technology teaching the methods for the organism recovery at home conditions. Upravlâûŝie sistemy i mašiny. 2018,
no 1, pp. 87–96. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15407/usim.2018.01.087.
- Shaw D. Overview of Telehealth and Its Application to Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapy. Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapy Journal. 2009. Vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 13–18.
- Telemedicine yesterday, today, tomorrow. Electronics: Science, Technology, Business. 2000, no. 2, pp. 62–65.
- Digital medicine in Ukraine: overview of services — https://ain.ua/ 2018/12/14/cifrovaya- medicina-v-ukraine-obzor-servisov/
- Fainsilberg L.S. Digital medicine and intellectual information technology. Proc. of the First International Scientific and Practical Conference “Information Systems and Technologies in Medicine” (ISM-2018). Kharkiv: KNURE, Madrid Printing House, 2018, pp. 21–23.
- Empowering Heroes, Transforming Health. URL: https://www.ibm.com/watson/health/
- IBM Healthcare Technologies (In Russian). URL: http://cognitive.rbc.ru/health-tech.
- Ambulatory Cardiac Monitoring: Avoiding Maturity through Technological Advancement. Market Engineering Research. Frost & Sullivan, Meriland. 2008, no. 9, pp. 325.
- Turing A.M. On Computable Numbers, with an Application to the Entscheidungsproblem. Proceedings of the London Mathematical Society. 1937. Vol. 2, Iss. 42, pp. 230–265.
- McCulloch W.S., Pitts W. A Logical Calculus of the Ideas Immanent in Nervous Activity Bulletin of Marhematicak Biophysics. 1943. V. 5, pp. 115–143.
- Nils Aall Barricelli N.A. Numerical Testing of Evolution Theories. Acta Biotheoretica. 1962. Vol. 16. Iss. 1–2, pp. 69–98.
- Converging Technologies for Improving Human Performance: Nanotechnology, Biotechnology, Information Technology and Cognitive Science. Edited by Mihail C. Roco and William Sims Bainbridge. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers (Springer), 2003. 482 p.
- Gritsenko V.I. Intellectualization of information technologies. Science and Technology. Kiev: V.M. Glushkov Institute of Cybernetics. NAS of Ukraine, 1992. pp. 4–9. (In Ukrainian).
- Fainsilberg L.S. Intellectual opportunities and prospects for the development of fasegraphy — the information technology for processing signals of complex shape. Kibernetika i vyčislitel`naâ tehnika. 2016. Iss. 186, pp. 56–77. (In Russian)
- Fainzilberg L.S. Interactive synthesis of information technologies for signal processing with localized information. Kibernetika i vyčislitel`naâ tehnika. 2017, Iss. 1 (187), pp. 11–29. (In Russian). DOI: doi.org/10.15407/kvt187.01.011
- Fainsilberg L.S. Computer diagnostics by phase portrait of an electrocardiogram. Kiev: Osvita of Ukraine, 2013. 191 p. (In Russian).
- Fainsilberg L.S. Basics of fasegraphy. Kiev: Osvita of Ukraine, 2017. 264 p. (In Russian).
- Dyachuk D.D., Gritsenko V.I., Fainzilberg L.S., et al. The use of the method of fasegraphy in the screening of coronary artery disease. Methodological Recommendations of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine № 163.16 / 13.17. Kyiv: Ukrainian Center for Scientific Medical Information and Patent Licensing, 2017. 32 p. (In Ukrainian).
- Fainzilberg L.S. Intelligent information technology for signal processing with localized information. Artificial Intelligence. 2018, no. 2, pp. 144–153. (In Russian).
- Dyachuk D.D., Kravchenko A.N., Fainzilberg L.S., Stanislavskaya S.S., Korchinskaya Z.A., Orikhovskaya K.B., Pasko V.S., Mikhalev K.A. Screening of myocardial ischemia by the method of assessing the phase of repolarization. Ukrainian Cardiology Journal. 2016, no. 6, pp. 82–89. (In Russian).
- Maydannik V.G., Khaitovich N.V., Fainzilberg L.S., Stepanov V.A., Vladimirova A.A., Misyura L.I. Symmetry of the T wave on the electrocardiogram as a marker of cardiometabolic risk in schoolchildren. International Journal of Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2013. Vol. 4, no. 3,. pp. 35–39. (In Russian).
- Morozik A.A. Fainzilberg L.S. The diagnostic significance of the combined analysis of the electrocardiogram on the phase plane and heart rate variability in children with diabetic cardiopathy. International Journal of Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2015. Vol. 7, no.1, pp. 11–17. (In Russian).
- Morozik A.O., Maidannik V.G., Fainzilberg L.S. Informative properties of indicators of the phase of repolarization of single-channel electrocardiogram in children with diabetic cardiomyopathy. Endocrinology. 2018. Vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 74–82. (In Ukrainian).
- Maydannik V.G., Fainzilberg L.S., Dukkart K.B., Morozik A.O., Kondratyuk A.S. Regulatory patterns in assessing the functional state of the body of children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes. Ukrainian magazine of child endocrinologist. 2018, no. 1,
pp. 51–60. (In Russian)
- Maydannik V.G., Fainzilberg L.S., Dukkart K.B., Morozik A.A., Kondratyuk A.S.
A new approach to the analysis of the functional state of the body of children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes. Modern pediatrics. 2018, no. 2 (90), pp. 37–46. (In Russian).
- Pavlichenko P.P. The influence of game load on the functional state of professional football players. Light Medicine and Biology. 2015, no. 1 (48), pp. 49–54. (In Russian).
- Fainzilberg L.S. New Opportunities of Phasegraphy in Medical Practice. Science and Innovation. 2017. Vol. 13. Iss. 3, pp. 37–50. DOI: 10.15407/scine13.03.037.
- Fainzilberg L.S. Evaluation of the effectiveness of the application of information technology FASEGRAPH® according to independent studies. Upravlâûŝie sistemy i mašiny. 2014, no. 2, pp. 84–92. (In Russian).
- Fainzilberg L.S. The technology for constructing a telemedicine system based on a generative model of generating an artificial ECG of a realistic form. Clinical computer science and telemedicine. 2012. Vol.8. Iss. 9, pp. 89–98. (In Russian).
- Fainzilberg L.S., Soroka T.V. Development of a telemedicine system for remote monitoring of cardiac activity based on the phasegraphic method. East European Journal of Advanced Technology. 2015, no. 6/9 (78), pp. 37–46. (In Russian). DOI: 10.15587/1729-4061.2015.55004.
- Fainzilberg L.S., Soroka T.V. Mobile applications for the virtual interaction of a doctor and a patient with remote monitoring of cardiac activity. Kibernetika i vyčislitel`naâ tehnika. 2016. Iss. 184, pp. 8–24. (In Russian).
- Fainzilberg L.S., Potapova T.P. Computer Analysis and Recognition of Cognitive Phase Space Electro-Сardio Graphic Image // Proceeding of the 6th International Conference On Computer analysis of Images and Patterns (CAIP’95). Prague (Czech Republic). 1995. pp. 668–673.
- Fainzilberg L.S., Korchinska Z.A., Semergei M.O. Software-technical complex for research of a new method of biometric identification of a person by a phase portrait of an ECG. Forensic Bulletin. 2015, no. 1 (23), pp. 63–71. (In Ukrainian).
- Fainzilberg L.S., Orikhovskaya K.B., Vakhovsky I.V. Assessment of the randomness of the fragments shape of a single-channel electrocardiogram. Kibernetika i vyčislitel`naâ tehnika. 2016. Iss. 183, pp. 4–24. (In Russian).
- Fainzilberg L.S., Orikhovskaya K.B. A new approach for detecting the effect of electrical heart alternation on a single-channel ECG. Bulletin of the National Technical University “KPI”. 2017, no. 21 (1243), pp. 144-151. (In Russian). DOI: 10.20998/2411-0558.2017.21.13.
- Gritsenko V.I., Fainzilberg L.S., Kravchenko A.N., Korchinskaya Z.A., Orikhovskaya K.B., Pasko V.S., Stanislavskaya S.S. Cognitive graphical images in the task of assessing the body’s response to a load by phase printing method. Upravlâûŝie sistemy i mašiny. 2016, no. 6, pp. 24–33. (In Russian).
- Fainzilberg L.S. Generalized Method of Processing Cyclic Signals of Complex Form in Multidimension Space of Patameters. Journal of Automation and Information Sciences. 2015. Vol. 47. Iss. 3, pp. 24–39. DOI: 10.1615/JAutomatInfScien.v47.i3.30
- Fainzilberg L.S., Matushevich N.A. An effective method for analyzing diagnostic features by a noisy electrocardiogram. Upravlâûŝie sistemy i mašiny. 2016, no. 2, pp.76–84. (In Russian).
- Fainzilberg L.S., Dykach Ju.R. Linguistic approach for estimation of electrocardiograms’s subtle changes based on the Levenstein distance. Cybernetics and Computer Engineering. 2019, no. 2 (196), pp. 3–26. DOI: https:// 10.15407/kvt196.02.003.
- Fainzilberg L.S. Intellectual Information Technologies on Smartphone. Proc. the XII International Conference “Information Technology and Automation — 2019” (Odessa, 17-18th of Oct, 2019). Odessa, 2019, Part 1, pp. 31–33.