Kibern. vyčisl. teh., 2015, Issue 182, pp.
International Research and Training Center for Information Technologies and
Systems of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine and Ministry of Education
and Science of Ukraine (Kiev)
СOMPLEX ESTIMATION OF REGIONAL DEMOGRAPHIC DEVELOPMENT
Introduction. Several studies are being conducted in the world to measure developmental disparities between countries, regions and territorial units. Composite indicators (or indexes) are used whenever a lot of variables are needed for evaluating developmental disparities between territories. Demographic variables are considered as important indicators of socio-economic development of regions. We show how cluster analysis can be combined with elements of multicriteria decision analysis (MCDA) to construct composite index regional demographic development of Ukraine.
The purpose of this article is the development of regional socioeconomic systems analysis methodology and construction of composite indicators of regional demographic development.
Results. We have used 5 territorial social-demographic indicators: 1) total fertility rate; 2) death rate of children under age of five; 3) life expectation at birth; 4) survivorship probabilities for men from 20 to 65 years; 5) survivorship probabilities for women from 20 to 65 years. The following strategy can be pursued in order to construct composite index . First, a cluster analysis (algorithms Ward and K-means) for defining clusters of regions based on the value of the individual indicators is used. The result of the cluster analysis is typological clusters of the selected regions. Second, such as each cluster can be characterized with a centroid, these centroids must be ordered from best to worst. Weights of composite index are calculated as coefficients of the best linear regression model of preference function.
Conclusion. The composite index of regional demographic development allows to assess the degree of variance in regional demographic development and ranking of regions.
Keywords: clustering, a composite indicator, the index of regional demographic development, ordered classification.
- Methods of measuring human development regions of Ukraine; Resolution adopted by the College of the State Statistics Committee of Ukraine and Presidium of NAS of Ukraine 14.03.2001 р. № 76 Available at: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/metodod_polog/metod_doc/sp/sp_04.pdf. (in Ukrainian).
- Regional statistics. Statistical Yearbook Regional Human Development Available at: https://ukrstat.org/uk/druk/publicat/Arhiv_u/15/Arch_rir_zb.htm. (in Ukrainian).
- Libanova E.M. Human development in Ukraine: transformation of the standard of living and regional disproportion — Kyiv: IDSS NANU — 2012. — 436 p. (in Ukrainian).
- Porter M. E. Location, competition, and economic development: Local clusters in a global economy // Economic Development Quarterly — 2000. — vol. 14. — №1— pp. 15–34.
- Izard W. Methods of Regional Analysis: An Introduction to Regional Science. — M.: Progress — 1960. — 660 p. (in Russian).
- Granberg A.G. Fundamentals of regional economy. 4th ed. — M.: GU HSE — 2004. — 495 p. (in Russian).
- Libanova E.M. Human development of the regions of Ukraine: assessment methodology and current state — Kyiv. — 2002. — 110 p. (in Ukrainian).
- Gerasymchyk Z.V. Regional policy of sustainable development: theory, methodology, practice — Lutsk: LNTU — 2011. — 260 p. (in Ukrainian).
- Ayvazian S. A. Integrated indicators of the quality of life of the population: their construction and use in socio-economic governance interregional comparisons — M.: TsEMI RAN — 2000. — 117 p. (in Russian).
- Hagerty. M.R., Land K.C. Constructing Summary Indices of Quality of Life A Model for the Effect of Heterogeneous Importance Weights// Sociological Methods Research — 2007. — vol. 35. — № 4. — pp.455–496.
- Shishkіn V.S. Conceptual and methodological approaches to regional disparities in human development//Statistics of Ukraine — 2001. — № 1. — pp. 30–38. (in Ukrainian).
- Makarova, O.V., Hladun O.M. Regional Human Development Index: Causes and areas of improvement methods of calculation // Statistics of Ukraine — 2012. — № 1. — pp. 10–15. (in Ukrainian).
- Grygoruk P.M., Tkachenko I.S. Methods of Integral Index Construction // Business Inform — 2012 — №4. — pp. 34–38. (in Ukrainian).
- Makotsoba M.B. Integrated estimation, ranking and clustering regions of Ukraine in terms of progress in human development // Economy and management — 2012. — № 4. — pp. 144–151. (in Ukrainian).
- Ohlikh V.V., Yefanova T.I. Regional space: methodical approach to the assessment of intraregional differentiation// Regional economy — 2014. — № 4. — pp. 40–47. (in Ukrainian).
- Composite Indicators Research Group Available at: https://compositeindicators.jrc.ec.europa.eu/?q=content/overview
- Handbook on constructing composite indicators. Methodology and user guide OECD/JRC. 2008 Available at: http://www.oecd.org/std/42495745.pdf
- Freudenberg M. Composite indicators of country performance: a critical assessment — Paris: OECD, STI WORKING PAPER — 2003. — № 16. — 34 p. https://www.itu.int/osg/spu/ni/wsisbridges/linked_docs/Background_papers/otherdocs/OECD_WP_2003_16.pdf
- The typology of Russian regions/B. Boots, S. Drobyshevskyi, O. Kochetkova — М.: Gaidar institute for Economic Policy, CEPRA — 2002. — 159 p. (in Russian).
- Ignatieva A., Maryev O. Methodical attitude to analyses of regional development stability on the basis of Kohonen’s self-organizing maps//Economy of region, Institute of Economic — Yekaterinburg — 2008. — № 2. — pp. 116–129. (in Russian).
- Saisana M., Saltelli A., Tarantola S. Uncertainty and sensitivity analysis techniques as tools for the analysis and validation of composite indicators//Journal of the Royal Statistical Society — Blackwell Publishing — 2005. — vol. 168. — № 2. — pp. 307–323.
- Ishizaka A, Nemery P. Multi-criteria decision analysis: methods and software. 1st ed. — Chichester: Wiley — 2013. — 310 p.
- Saaty T. Decision Making. The Analytic Hierarchy Process — М.: Radio Sviaz. — 1993. — 278 p. (in Russian).
- Mironova N. O. Integration modifications of the analytical hierarchy process for group decision making support systems//Radio Electronics, Computer Science, Control — Zaporizhzhya, National Technical University — 2011. — № 2. — pp. 47–54. (in Russian).
- Smet Y.D., Nemery P., Selvara R. An exact algorithm for the multicriteria ordered clustering problem//Omega. — 2012. — vol. 40. — № 6. — pp. 861–896.
- Mirkin B. G. Methods of cluster analysis for support decision-making. Review. Preprint WP7/2011/ 03 Available at: http:/ /www.hse. ru/data/2013/ 03/23/1303511006/WP7_2011_03f.pdf. (in Russian).
- Fernandez. E., Navarro J., Bernal S. Handling multicriteria preferences in cluster analysis//European Journal of Operational Research. — 2010, — vol. 202, — №3, — pp. 819–827.
- Methods of measuring human development regions of Ukraine — Kyiv: IDSS NANU, State Statistics Service of Ukraine. — 2012. — 41 p. Available at: http://www.idss.org.ua/
- Krivova O.A., Kurilo I.A. The regional typology the natural growth of the population of Ukraine: Cluster approach//Cybernetics and Computer Engineering — 2011. — №. 164. — pp. 89–102. (in Russian).