Issue 1 (195), article 5
Kibern. vyčisl. teh., 2018, Issue 1 (195), pp.
Kaplin I.V.1, ophthalmologist of the Kyiv Center for Eye Therapy and Microsurgery, PhD student of the Ophthalmology Department
Kochina M.L.2, DSc. (Biology), Professor,
Head of the Medical and Biological Basics of Sports and Physical Rehabilitation Department,
Demin Yu.A.1, DSc. (Medicine), Professor,
Head of Ophthalmology Department,
Firsov A.G.3, PhD (Technics), Chief Designer
1 Kharkiv Medical Academy of Postgraduate Education,
58, Amosova str., Kharkiv, Ukraine, 61000
2 Petro Mohyla Black Sea National University
10, 68-Desantniv str., Mykolaiv, Ukraine, 54000
3 ASTER-AITI, LTD
1, Aviation str., ap.7, Kharkiv, Ukraine, 61166
THE SYSTEM OF INTRAOCULAR PRESSURE ASSESSMENT USING INTERFERENCE EYE PICTURES
Introduction. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), glaucoma accounts for 4–5% of the total ocular pathology, making it one of the most common eye diseases in the world. The first sign of the disease is a constant or periodic increase in intraocular pressure, which leads to the development of visual field defects, optic nerve atrophy, and dystrophic changes in eye tissues. Detection of glaucoma and ocular hypertension is done by measuring the intraocular pressure, which is the standard procedure for diagnosis of the condition of eyes in all patients over 40 years of age. Patients with a diagnosis of “glaucoma” should constantly measure the intraocular pressure, which is necessary to control the effectiveness of treatment, its correction and evaluation of the effectiveness of drugs.
The purpose of the article is to develop the system for assessing the intraocular pressure level using the interference pictures parameters observed on the eye cornea in the polarized light.
Results. The proposed system of two-level classification of the intraocular pressure level, which contains a pair of complementary fuzzy models, formalized in the form of logical rules and sets of numerical parameters of functions (membership and conclusion), and additional decisive rules that consist of a regression equation and a classification criterion.
Such a hybrid system adequately reflects the general communication of adjusted interference picture parameters with a measured value of intraocular pressure by classical Goldman tonometry, which allowed offering it to practical use as a basis for intraocular pressure express assessment.
Conclusion. Using the developed software module evaluation of intraocular pressure, based on the proposed concept of express assessment of intraocular pressure, integrates fuzzy models and decisive rules allowing to improve the results of glaucoma treatment at early detection of high level of intraocular pressure.
Keywords: intraocular pressure, central eye cornea thickness, interference pictures, express assessment.
1. Tham Y.C., Li X., Wong T.Y., Quigley H.A., Aung T., Cheng C.Y. Global prevalence of glaucoma and projections of glaucoma burden through 2040: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ophthalmology. 2014; 121:2081-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ophtha.2014.05.013
2. Leske M. C. Ocular perfusion pressure and glaucoma: clinical trial and epidemiologic findings. Curr. Opin. Ophthalmol. 2009. Vol. 20, N 2. P. 73-78. https://doi.org/10.1097/ICU.0b013e32831eef82
3. Howard D. L., Kim M. M., Hartnett M. E. Predicting glaucoma diagnosis in an elderly sample: revisiting the established populations for epidemiologic studies of the elderly. J Natl Med Assoc .2011. Vol. 103. P. 332-341. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0027-9684(15)30314-X
4. Day A.C., Baio G., Gazzard G.The prevalence of primary angle close glaucoma in European derived population: a systematic review. Br J Ophthalmol. 2012. Vol. 96. P. 1162-1167. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjophthalmol-2011-301189
5. Ravi Thomas. Glaucoma a in developing countries. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2012. Vol. 60. 5. P. 446-450. https://doi.org/10.4103/0301-4738.100546
6. Rykov S.A., Vitovskaya O.P., Stepanyuk G.I. Incidence, prevalence of ophthalmopathology and eye disability in Ukraine. News of Glaucoma. 2009. No. 1. 34-35. (in Russian)
7. Povch Z.V. Contemporary regional features and dynamics of glaucoma morbidity of adult population of Ukraine, gender aspects. Health of Society. 2014.1 2. P. 36-40. (in Ukrainian) https://doi.org/10.22141/2306-2436.3.1-2.2014.121649
8. Povch Z.V. Approaches to improving the glaucoma prevention taking into account the regional peculiarities of its prevalence among different age groups of the population of Ukraine. Health of Society. 2014. 1-2. P. 79. (in Ukrainian)
9. Rykov S.O. Medvedovskaya N.V., Troyanov D.P. Current state and dynamics of glaucoma incidence among adult population of Ukraine. Ukraine. The health of the Nation. 2012. 2-3. P. 119-121. (in Ukrainian)
10. Rykov S.A., Shargorodskaya I.V., I.I. bakdardin, Simchuk I.V. Diagnosis and treatment of glaucoma. Supplement to lectures; ed. S.O. Rykova. [2nd ed.]. K.: LLC “Firm ASAVA”, 2014. 72p. (in Russian)
11. Kaplin I.V., Kochina M.L., Demin Y.A., Firsov A.G. The conception of telemedicine system for express estimation of intraocular pressure’s level. Cybernetics and Computer Engineering. 2018. No 1 (191). P. 76-94. (in Ukrainian) https://doi.org/10.15407/kvt191.01.076
12. Brandt J. D., Gordon M.O., Beiser J. A. The Ocular Hypertension Treatment Study (OHTS) Group. Adjusting Intraocular Pressure for Central Corneal Thickness Does Not Improve Prediction Models for Primary Open-Angle Glaucoma .Ophthalmol. 2012. Vol. 119(3). P. 437-442. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ophtha.2011.03.018
13. Egorov E.A., Vasina M.V. The influence of the cornea thickness on the level of intraocular pressure among various groups of patients. Clinical Ophthalmology. 2006. No. 1. P. 16-19. (in Russian)
14. Eremina M.V., Erichev V.P., Yakubova L.V. The influence of the central thickness of the cornea on the level within the eye pressure is normal and with glaucoma (overview). Glaucoma. 2006. No. 4. P. 78-83. (in Russian)
15. Alekseev V. N., Litvin I. B. The influence of corneal thickness on the level of intraocular pressure and prognosis in primary open-angle glaucoma. Clinical ophthalmol. 2008. No. 4. P. 130-132. (in Russian)
16. Avetisov S.E., Petrov S.Yu., Bubnov I.A. Influence of the central cornea thickness on the results of tonometry (review of literature). Vestn. Ophthalmol. 2008. No. 5. P. 3-7. (in Russian)
17. Kochina M.L., Demin Y.A., Kaplin I.V., Kovtun N.M. Model of stress-deformation status of the eye corneaEast European Scientific Journal. 2017. 2(18). P. 61-66.
18. Shtovba S.D. Designing fuzzy systems by means of MATLAB. Horiachaia liniia – Telecom. M., 2007. 288p with pictures. (in Russian)
19. Yager R., Filev D. Essential of Fuzzy Modeling and Control. John Willey & Sons, 1994. 388 p.
20. Open source software for numerical computation. Access mode: http://www.scilab.org/ (Last accessed: 21.06.2018.)
21. Fuzzy Logic Toolbox. Access mode: http://atoms.scilab.org/toolboxes/sciFLT/0.4.7 (Last accessed: 21.06.2018)
22. Fuzzy Logic Library for Microsoft .Net Access mode: https://sourceforge.net/projects/fuzzynet/ (Last accessed: 21.06.2018)