Issue 1 (195), article 6
Kibern. vyčisl. teh., 2018, Issue 1 (195), pp.
Chernyshova T.A., physician,
Aviation Medical Center of the National Aviation University,
Komarova av., 1, Kyiv, 03058, Ukraine
CRITERIA AND METHOD FOR DETECTION OF CIRCULATING TUMOR CELLS
Introduction. Modern advances in science and technology have substantially expanded the possibilities for detecting malignant neoplasms. A great number of methods for the detection and allocation of circulating tumor cells clearly indicates the interest of researchers to this problem.
The purpose of the work is to form a complex of criteria for tumor malignancy evaluation and to improve the method of detecting circulating tumor cells in human blood.
Results. The proposed method for determining circulating tumor cells, which is an improvement of ISET technology, combines two stages. At the first stage the improvement is in adding two additional polycarbonate filters with 5 and 3 micron diameter pores, and providing a mode of 100% sealing of the chamber with hemolysis, and constant pressure throughout the filtration process. At the second stage, we carried out the determination of malignancy degree of the isolated cells using the developed set of criteria. The use of the developed method in the automated system for the analysis of digital microscopic images of circulating tumor cells provides the detection and calculation of characteristic features for assigning an object to a certain class of malignancy and the creation of scanned images database with recorded existing cells or their entities, as well as the final verification of the results of tumor malignancy evaluation for template masks of circulating tumour cells and benign tumor cells.
Conclusions. The application of the proposed method for the detection of circulating tumor cells allows detecting smaller cells than in case of using traditional methods, ensures their integrity and intactness.
Keywords: circulating tumor cells, criteria for evaluation of tumormalignancy, method of determining circulating tumor cells in human blood.
1. Krivacic R.. Ladanyi A., Curry D., Hsieh H., Kuhn P., Bergsrud D., Kepros J. A rare-cell detector for cancer. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 2004. V. 101, N 29. P. 10501-10504. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0404036101
2. Harouaka R., Kang Z., Zheng S.Y., Cao L. Circulating tumor cells: advances in isolation and analysis, and challenges for clinical applications. Pharmacol Ther. 2014. Vol. 141. P. 209-221. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pharmthera.2013.10.004
3. Tewes M., Aktas B., Welt A., Mueller S., Hauch S., Kimmig R., Kasimir-Bauer S. Molecular profiling and predictive value of circulating tumor cells in patients with metastatic breast cancer: an option for monitoring response to breast cancer related therapies. Breast cancer research and treatment. 2009. Vol. 115, N 3. P. 581-590. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-008-0143-x
4. Danila D.C., Heller G., Gignac G.A. et al. Circulating tumor cell number and prognosis in progressive castration-resistant prostate cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2007. Vol. 13(23). P. 7053-7058. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-07-1506
5. Krivacic R.. Ladanyi A., Curry D., Hsieh H., Kuhn P., Bergsrud D., Kepros J. A rare-cell detector for cancer. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 2004. Vol. 101, N 29. P. 10501-10504. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0404036101
6. Ntouroupi T., Ashraf S., McGregor S., Turney B., Seppo A., Kim Y., Wang X. Detection of circulating tumour cells in peripheral blood with an automated scanning fluorescence microscope. British journal of cancer. 2008. Vol. 99, N 5. P. 789-795. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6604545
7. Bauer K., de la Torre-Bueno J., Diel I., Hawes D., Decker W., Priddy C., Bossy B. Reliable and sensitive analysis of occult bone marrow metastases using automated cellular imaging. Clinical cancer research: an official journal of the American Association for Cancer Research. 2000. Vol. 6, N 9. P. 3552-3559.
8. Kagan M., Howard D., Bendele T., Mayes J., Silvia J., Repollet M., Doyle J. A Sample Preparation and Analysis System for Identification of Circulating Tumor Cells. Journal of Clinical Ligand Assay. 2002. Vol. 25, N 1. P. 104-110.
9. Andreopoulou E., Yang L.-Y., Rangel K., Reuben J., Hsu L., Krishnamurthy S., Valero V. Comparison of assay methods for detection of circulating tumor cells in metastatic breast cancer: AdnaGen AdnaTest BreastCancer Select. Detect versus Yeridex CellSearch system. Int. journal of cancer. 2012. Vol. 130, N 7. P. 1590-1597. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.26111
10. 10 Nezos A., Pissimisis N., Lembessis P., Sourla A., Dimopoulos P., Dimopoulos T., Tzelepis K. Detection of circulating tumor cells in bladder cancer patients. Cancer treatment reviews. 2009. V. 35, N 3. P. 272-279. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctrv.2008.11.003
11. Tewes M., Aktas B., Welt A., Mueller S., Hauch S., Kimmig R., Kasimir-Bauer S. Molecular profiling and predictive value of circulating tumor cells in patients with metastatic breast cancer: an option for monitoring response to breast cancer related therapies. Breast cancer research and treatment. 2009. V. 115, N 3. P. 581-590. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-008-0143-x
12. Ignatiadis M, Lee M, Jeffrey SS. Circulating Tumor Cells and Circulating Tumor DNA: Challenges and Opportunities on the Path to Clinical Utility. Clin Cancer Res. 2015. No21(21), P. 4786-800. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-14-1190
13. Alix-Panabieres C, Pantel K. Technologies for detection of circulating tumor cells: facts and vision. Lab Chip. 2014. No 14(1):P. 57-62. https://doi.org/10.1039/C3LC50644D
14. Ferreira M.M, Ramani V.C, Jeffrey S.S. Circulating tumor cell technologies. Mol Oncol. 2016. No10(3), P. 374-94 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molonc.2016.01.007
15. Gertler R., Rosenberg R., Fuehrer K., Dahm M., Nekarda H., Siewert J. Detection of circulating tumor cells in blood using an optimized density gradient centrifugation. Recent results in cancer research. Fortschritte der Krebsforschung. Progres dans les recherches sur le cancer. 2003. Vol. 162. P. 149-155. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-59349-9_13
16. Tan S., Yobas L., Lee G., Ong C, Lira C. Microdevice for the isolation and enumeration of cancer cells from blood. Biomedical microdevices. 2009. V. 11, N 4. P. 883-892. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10544-009-9305-9
17. Tan S., Yobas L., Lee G., Ong C, Lira C. Microdevice for the isolation and enumeration of cancer cells from blood. Biomedical microdevices. 2009. V. 11, N 4. P. 883-892. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10544-009-9305-9
18. Kovalev A.A, Grudinskaya T.V., Kuznetsov T.P., Kovalev K.A. Heterogeneity of circulating tumor cells. Oncology. 2012. V.4. No. 2 12.12-12.(in Russian) https://doi.org/10.7463/1212.0486388
19. Pavlov S.V, Kozhemyako V.P, Burdenyuk I.I. Rami Rebhi Hamdi. Optical and electronic technologies for the analysis of biomedical images. Vinnitsa: VNTU, 2011. 166 p. (in Ukranian)
20. Nepomnyaschaya E.I., Kit O.I., Nistratova O.V., Novikova I.A. and others. Circulating tumor cells and some morpho-immuno-histochemical indices at colorectal cancer. Modern problems of science and education. 2016. No. 2. (in Russian)
21. G. Vona, C. Beroud, A. Benachi, A. Quenette, J.P. Bonnefont, Y. Dumez, B. Lacour, P. Paterlini-Brechot. Enrichment and genetic analyses of fetal cells circulating in the maternal blood by the ISET technique and single cell microdissection: a non-invasive tool for early prenatal diagnosis. Am. J. Pathol. 2002. No 160. P. 51-58. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9440(10)64348-9
22. Ismayilova G., Laget S., Paterlini-Brechot P. Diagnosis of circulating tumor cells using ISET technology and their molecular characteristics for fluid biopsy. URL: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/diagnostika-tsirkuliruyuschih-opuholevyh-kletok-s-pomoschyu-tehnologii-iset-i-ih-molekulyarnaya-harakteristika-dlya-zhidkostnoy. (Last accessed: 08.12.2018)
23. Ledov V.K., Skrinnikova MA, Popova O.P. Isolation of Circulating Tumor Cells by Isolated Size (ISET) (overview). Voprosy Oncologii, 2014. No60 (5). P.548-552. (in Russian)
24. Baikhenko A.K, Shaimardinova G. M., Popova N.V., Zhusinova B.T., Ismayilova G.N. Circulating Cancer Cells: Molecular Characteristics and Monitoring of Cancer Treatment. Clinical Medicine of Kazakhstan. 2013. Vol.4 No30. (in Russian)
25. Volchenko N.N. Cytological diagnostics of tumors of the mammary gland. Mammology, 2006, No. 1, P. 35-39. (in Russian)
26. Paterlini-Brechot P, Benali-Furet NL. Circulating tumor cells (CTC) detection : Clinical impact and future directions. Cancer Letter. 2007. No 253. P. 180-204. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2006.12.014
27. Zubtsov D.A., Zubtsova J.I., Lavrov A.V., Legchenko E.V. et al. Circulating tumor cells (CAC) in breast cancer: prognostic significance and methods of excretion. Trudy MFTI. 2012. Volume 4. No. 3. P.18-26. (in Russian)
28. Chimitov A.A.,.Ryantsantsev N.V, Dambayev G.T., Khitricheev V.E. and others. Filtration of venous blood of boluses with the aim of cytological diagnostics of malignant neoplasms. Bulleten VSNI SO RAMN, 2010. No. 3 (73). (in Russian)
29. Laget S, Broncy L, Hormigos K, Dhingra DM, BenMohamed F, Capiod T, et al. Technical Insights into Highly Sensitive Isolation and Molecular Characterization of Fixed and Live Circulating Tumor Cells for Early Detection of Tumor Invasion. PLOS ONE, 2017, 12 (1): e0169427. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0169427
30. Ushakova G.O. Modern methods of clinical diagnostics. Guidelines. Dnipropetrovsk: DNU. 2003. 52 p.
31. Zlepko S.M., Chernyshova T.A., Timchik S.V., Krivonosov V.E., Zlepko O.S. Information system (IS) for receiving and processing microscopic images of circulating tumor cells (CTC). Achievements of clinical and experimental medicine, 2017, No 4, P. 39-46. (in Ukranian)
32. Azarhov O.Yu., Zlepko S.M., Timchik S.V., Chernyshova T.A.,. Danilkov S.O Methods and tools for computer analysis of microscopic images of circulating tumor cells. Bulletin of scientific researches. 2017. No. 4. P. 162-166. (in Ukranian)
33. Golovnya V.M., Zlepko S.M. The system of express diagnostics of formed blood elements. Measuring and computing engineering in technological processes. 2010, 2, P. 163-168. (in Ukranian)
34. Lyadov V.K., Ledin E.V., Skrypnikova M.A. Cytological diagnostics of pancreatic adenocarcinoma by the method of isolating the size of circulating tumor cells from peripheral blood: a message from practice. Clinical Laboratory Diagnostics, 2017. No. 11. P. 31-39. (in Russian)
35. Kit O.I., Novikova I.A, Selutina O.N., Dontsov V.A., Chernikova E.N., Samaneyeva N.Yu., Nistratova O.V. Investigation of the level of the central ankylosing spondylitis in epithelial tumors of various localizations. International Journal of Applied and Fundamental Researches. 2018. No. 12-5. P.817-820. (in Russian)